History

Municipal unit Iolkou

Ano Volos - Saint Onoufrios – Anakasia

Origin placename

The Ano Volos is Over Machalas (Volos or Golou or lumps), during the Turkish.

Saint Onoufrios got its name from a Byzantine monastery no longer survives.

For Anakasia allegedly named after Akasto, son of King Pelias. There's even a version of the origin of the place name from the word "sit up" - "anakats'ia", where, dialect in Pelion, means place in the high.

Brief Chronology

When the 1423 Thessaly was occupied by hordes of Turhan Ben, General of Murad II, expelled the Ottomans from the "Castle" of Golou Greeks and settled there because the space provided security. The Greeks expelled together with their other compatriots who remained in ancient Dimitriada, settled on the western fringes of Pelion. Here brought their families and their households. They built houses and churches, planted trees and brought water from the mountain.

The biggest boom Iolkos observed during the 19th century. It was a century of economic, intellectual and cultural development and exacerbation. At that time crafts, trade, arts and letters showed the greatest progress.

On the banks of the stream that crosses Krafsidona Volos, but in Iolkos, operating over fifteen windmills that grind the grain of the entire region and the plains of Velestino. Also, a number looms wove silk fabrics and Skoutas. More, all villages cultivate silkworms and this work was one of the greatest of the residents, especially women. The region produced olives, oil and good wine. These products and many more, handled by Anovoliotes merchants caravans animals, in all the northern parts of Greece. In all districts operated elementary schools for boys and girls, like the Scholarchio the Upper Quarter, today Ano Volos, for students of all districts.

After the Liberation of Thessaly 1881 , started in the logistics area , founded the Iolkos , πουincluded the then villages: Anakasia , Holy Onoufrio, Upper Quarter (Ano Volos), Other side and budding settlements Baxedes and Holy Friday.

The boom manifested in the construction of beautiful homes: Chateaus and manor houses with two and three storeys, forts correctly, built many wealthy merchants and landowners, not enough of them exist today. At the same time, and important personalities emerge, who excel in all areas. Patriarchal families Margaritis, Hatzivassiliou, Parthenis, Tzanou, Saratsi, Pyrgiali, Zafrakopoulou, Tsiakatouri and many other, were spiritually fertile nurseries, which came from people who excelled in trade, the arts, the military and political stage.

The adjacent hill diocese must have been a Byzantine monastery was destroyed during the Turkish. There, Bishop Kallistos Demetriada, in 1639, transferred the Bishopric from which (probably) named after the hill.

Το 1883, by uniting the villages anovoliotikon, created the Iolkos. The city spent three decades (1883-1913). Το 1991 reconstituted, although the most-mounted Iolkos- by archaeologists Dimini. In Iolkos are the villaItAnakasia , Saint Onoufrios and Ano Volos.
At the end of the 19th century and the first quarter of the 20th century, lives in the Mytilinios folk painter Theofilos. In this time, it creates a large painting, admirable in quality and remarkable in quantity. His creations are scattered in Volos, the villages of Ano Volos, in Makrinitsa, Portaria and other villages of Pelion. Yet, the finest works are in Anakasia, home of John Kontos. It is wonderful murals are artistic treasure of immeasurable value.


volosInfoΤΟΠΙΚΟ ΣΥΜΒΟΥΛΙΟ ΠΡΟΛΗΨΗΣ ΠΑΡΑΒΑΤΙΚΟΤΗΤΑΣ ΔΗΜΟΥ ΒΟΛΟΥΠανεπιστήμιο ΘεσσαλίαςΔημοτικό ΡαδιόφωνοΠολεοδομίαΠοδηλασίαΠεριφέρεια ΘεσσαλίαςΜετανάστεςΚΕΠΚαθαριότηταΝοσοκομείοflagΕθελοντισμόςΔιαύγειαempeΔΟΥΚΔΗΚΙCitiesNetΑΜΕΑ

Set as default language