The Hill of the Diocese

APau's most interesting sights monuments of rising right off the main highway in 5th km away. route Volos Portaria, κι ανήκει στο Δήμο Ιωλκού. The hill of the Diocese, almost in the center of Ano Volos today as seen from the ruins of the fortifications,have been inhabited since ancient of times.

Επισκοπή. Ο Ναός της Κοιμήσεως της Θεοτόκου (1639).

The Church of the Assumption (1639)

Επισκοπή. Η περίβλεπτος 'βίγλα' του Δήμου Ιωλκού.

The prestigious' vigla' the municipality Iolkou

E.to wide paved alley leading to the hilltop, having survived the antiquated aisled basilica without a domeAssumption. The present name(Diocese) goes back to the late Middle Ages. however, there must have been at the top of the hill some monastery, destroyed in late Byzantine times in the first centuries of Ottoman rule and in its place the Bishop Dimitriados Callistusbuilt in 1639 today's church.

The himself, according to the sources, then moved to the hill was home and the seat of the Archdiocese, after the devastation of Demetriada the conquest of the region by the Turks (1423) and the expulsion of the Christian population and the castle of St. Theodore. The building (Bishopric)not saved today. According to the inscription (dedicatory) on the northern entrance to the present church of Bishop Kallistos Dimitriados referred to as “Founder”.

Επισκοπή. Ο μονόροφος ξυλεπίστεγος εξωνάρθηκας (νότια πλευρά).

The bungalows xylepistegos exonarthex (south side)

Tnaves separated by a colonnade consisting of two columns on each side. During the Ottoman rule was added to the west side storey exo-narthex with three arches on the south side of the current existing bungalows xylepistegos exo-narthex. Embedded in the walls (northern, southern and eastern)various sculptures shapes, Symbols, lettering,Birds champlevé in marble or stone representations, from the ruins of an older monastery.

Athe Byzantine era monastery on the top of the hill, the many chapels surrounded the ruins of which are still visible. Anavainontas the hill from the paved path midway, left, preserved the chapel is dedicated to the Transfiguration the Savior.



Athe west side of the church of Episkopi is built part of the sarcophagus of worldly Anna Melissenoi, (nun “Flourishing”), wife toparchies Dimitriadis sygktitora of the monastery of Prophet Baptist New Stone (Portaria) Nicholas Melissenos. The surviving church is the oldest post-Byzantine monuments of Pelion. On the outer walls not one can distinguish the dedicatory inscription dated ZRMZ (=1639) on the north side and even a multitude of architectural and built mainly architraves,parapets and other reliefs.

Επισκοπή. Το λιθόστρωτο μονοπάτι που οδηγεί στη κορυφή του λόφου.

The paved path leading to the top of the hill

Επισκοπή. Το βυζαντινό ναΐδριο της Μεταμορφώσεως του Σωτήρος.

The Byzantine chapel of the Transfiguration

Entyposi cause and the many ornate sculptures Byzantine era, pieces that are built into the interior walls of the church of the Assumption.

Aduring the late Byzantine Middle Ages in Thessaly (1204-1423) Pelion was known as mountain “Δρυανουβαίνης” and this because the whole area of ​​Pelion, which extends above the current Volos, and includes the current Katichori,Portaria, Makrynitsa with the hill of the Diocese of Ano Volos, was known as “Δρυανούβαινα”.Dryanoybaina

Επισκοπή. Το μικρό προαύλιο του παρεκκλησίου της Μεταμορφώσεως του Σωτήρος.

The small forecourt of the Chapel of the Transfiguration

APo on 10οcentury even began along the lines of Mount Athos to be generated in higher ones of Pelion, in places safe from listopeirates, enough and large monasteries be allocated vast tracts of land with actual imperial parachoritiria. founders of monasteries are usually monks, coming from Mount Athos, but powerful local families chorodespoton with that of eminent Melissenos.

Archigetis the house of Melissenos Demetrias was Constantine Melissenos. The year 1207 Dimitriada the region of Pelion and given to him as a fief (Toparchies),his friend and comrade Michael Angelos Komnenos Doukas. When Michael Komnenos occupied Arta and became the establishment of the principle of Angels in Epirus then Constantine Melissenos returned permanently held the manor of Byzantine Demetriada modeled on the state of Epirus.

Asafeguards Dimitrada, both in the coastal area of ​​the coast of, and in the Land of magnesia hinterland and Mount, Building towers Survey to protect the population, especially farmers and peasants. It 1236 married Maria Angelina,sister of Michael II’ Epirus.

Aince marriage were born later toparchies of Magnesia, Nicholas Melissenos. Constantine Melissenos, nature was pious and had an inclination towards monasticism. The year 1214 began building in the Upper Dryanoybaina (Today's Makrinitsas) a huge monastery, and dedicated it to the Virgin Mary, the monastery of “Acute Episkepseos the immaculate Virgin Mary”.

Επισκοπή. Η βόρεια πλευρά του Ναού με εντοιχισμένα ανάγλυφα και άλλα.

The north side of the church with wall reliefs and other

Επισκοπή. Η νότια πλευρά του Ναού της Κοιμήσεως της Θεοτόκου.

The south side of the Church of the Assumption
















ΟConstantine Melissenos resigned from the local ruler in favor of his son Nicholas Melissenos. Named “Constantius” wore plain lonely trivonio until he died in 1255. He was buried in the monastery which he himself had founded. Nicholas Melissenos took toparchies Demetrias and married the princess Anna Palaiologina niece of Emperor Michael VIII’ Paleologos.

Ο Βόλος όπως φαίνεται από την κορυφή του λόφου της Επισκοπής.

Volos as seen from the hilltop of the Diocese.

Tperiod not 1270-1273 rebuilt in the Haute Dryanoybaina a huge monastery which dedicated in memory of “Prophet Baptist”. Nicholas and his wife Anna embraced monasticism and egkataviosan as monks, The former Nicholas in the monastery of Acute Episkepseos of Makrinitsas,and the Anna, as nun “Flourishing”, in the monastery of Prophet Forerunner New Stone. They both remained in the same monasteries until their death.

E.Thus begins the long period that Pelion is characterized as a second “Mount Athos” of Greece, called in hagiographical texts”Mount of Kelli”. Unfortunately nothing salvaged from the original building of monasteries. Their son John Melissenos(1274-1285), took toparchies Demetriada the most critical juncture in the history of the region, because the city Demetriada accepted since many barbarian invasions.


volosInfoΤΟΠΙΚΟ ΣΥΜΒΟΥΛΙΟ ΠΡΟΛΗΨΗΣ ΠΑΡΑΒΑΤΙΚΟΤΗΤΑΣ ΔΗΜΟΥ ΒΟΛΟΥΠανεπιστήμιο ΘεσσαλίαςΔημοτικό ΡαδιόφωνοΠολεοδομίαΠοδηλασίαΠεριφέρεια ΘεσσαλίαςΜετανάστεςΚΕΠΚαθαριότηταΝοσοκομείοflagΕθελοντισμόςΔιαύγειαempeΔΟΥΚΔΗΚΙCitiesNetΑΜΕΑ

Set as default language