History

Name Place (Wormwood): About the name of Agria have shown different views. Predominately are four. One wants the name of Agria come from the plant Agria(-iados ), the other of wild olives arriving until then on the beach (Oleaster- Agrilia after Agria) and the other by the expression of solicitation fishermen '.

Prevalent is the view expressed by Lechonitis Scholar Patroclus Palamidas that the name came from the church that existed in ancient times and was dedicated to Artemis Agra. The linguistic evolution of Agra in Agria is particularly believable(such as oils – olive, Graia – old and Agra – Wormwood),

Throwback: Agria extends along the beach Pagassitikos about six miles southeast of Volos and is the nearest suburb. Is relatively new town(became the community 1912). The area formerly belonged to dragons and St. Lawrence which was a seaport from which these and other villages traded agricultural and handicraft products.

Initially there were only small huts where the people of dragons and Saint. Lawrence went down in the winter to harvest their olives.

During the Turkish Agria, there was a settlement. However, the first houses were built in the early 19th century before the Revolution 1821. A note joke and very interesting to Agria says : "Agria was under Turkish rule simple customs and military station '.

Since 1809 – 1860 creating a business and export trade craft and cooperage with good organization that helped a little time the Pelion products spread in Western Europe, Romania and Russia.
It is characteristic that in 1920 an English commercial paper issued reports Agria as "the world's largest port 'in export olives and oil. Around two hundred thousand kilos of olives cleared through the customs each year from Agria.

Agria began to grow rapidly after the annexation of Thessaly, construction of coastal road and rail later, who linked Volos with the villages of southwestern Pelion, thus exported by sea export trade black oils and fruit from the bay.
A new wave of residents moved to Agria 1922 when refugees from Asia Minor but mainly from Eastern Thrace shelters here after being exiled from their parent soils.

Τον 20 Agria century saw population and industrial development. The famous factory founded in EPSA 1924 by brothers Kosmadopouloi bank owners to build refrigerated fruit and ice plant. Overproduction of the region lemons and already developed movement of traditional lemonade from Asia Minor sellers, leading owners in recruiting German engineers to operate bottling plant beverage. According to legend, the German engineer has discovered a rare recipe for producing lemonade, recipe still used today and is invariant stock company.
It 1911 foundedA.G.E.T GCC. The plant has a natural harbor and falls among the largest cement manufacturers in Europe, Asia and America.

Other local businesses were founded and flourished then as the plant I.Matsango involved in processing, packaging and marketing of olives, the woodworking craft was originally built drums and modernizing industry turned into woodworking and furniture while. Also other smaller companies-mainly oil depots – began to operate and attract people to the Municipality of Agria.

It 1999 with Kapodistrias plan a new municipality was established and includes the towns Agria and dragons, which were hitherto separate communities.
The Municipality of Agria is now a traditional village with a population of around 6.500 people.

volosInfoΤΟΠΙΚΟ ΣΥΜΒΟΥΛΙΟ ΠΡΟΛΗΨΗΣ ΠΑΡΑΒΑΤΙΚΟΤΗΤΑΣ ΔΗΜΟΥ ΒΟΛΟΥΠανεπιστήμιο ΘεσσαλίαςΔημοτικό ΡαδιόφωνοΠολεοδομίαΠοδηλασίαΠεριφέρεια ΘεσσαλίαςΜετανάστεςΚΕΠΚαθαριότηταΝοσοκομείοflagΕθελοντισμόςΔιαύγειαempeΔΟΥΚΔΗΚΙCitiesNetΑΜΕΑ

Set as default language
 Edit Translation