Origin placename:

The views on the origin of the village name is-as usual- several.

-The village got its name from its first settler named Dragon.

-In the tradition, a mythological beast (dragon) lived in. Indeed, the first municipal council decided to bring the seal of the show Community winged dragon with snake head and tail scorpion.

- The village's name comes from the word meaning DRAX handful hand, That's because the village is built on grooved part and gives the impression that it is built on a handful.

-In Czech, draga mean passage (the village is a passage from the eastern side of Pelion in the western). This version too weak.


Brief Chronology:

The Drakeia created, like almost all the villages of Pelion, concentrations than those working in settlements-in late Byzantium- on estates of monasteries.

As is known, Pelion was the second Mt Athos, is called, after 10 m. X. century, "Mountain of the cell".

The workers was added, later, Ipeirotes nomads who escaped persecution.

The name Drakeia protoparousiazetai in documents 16th century. Specifically, there is a document that is the intention of the Great Meteora and is estimated to have been deposited between 1520 and 1640.

Also, document is a donation to the Holy Sepulchre compiled about a hundred years later (1658). It 1614 had 147 families, most of which had come from the mainland.

In the early 18th century, residents Drakia developed crafts (mainly silk) and barter trade. But most of them were engaged in the cultivation of olive trees and apple and some others of wood. Drakeia In, as in other villages of Pelion, there were mills that grind wheat. Early 20th century, abundant water, as has been done with Portaria, offers Drakeiotes, able to see the houses and streets are illuminated to.

On 17 December 1943, Germans, retaliation, invaded Drakeia, entered the main village cafe, and arrested most men. At dawn on December 18 took them, in groups, the adjacent river and executed. The Drakeia then lamented 118 victims. The old state characteristics that red, the blood of the Martyrs, river water reached up to Agria.

For this reason, the Drakeia featured martyred village. At the point of execution there is a monument with a votive column, where the names of the fallen.

The Drakeia with glorious past resists and hopes for the future

The foundation of the settlement ofDrakiacould be fitted to the mid-15th century or early 16th century. In an idyllic and evocative environment, was built in the time ofTurkishvillageDrakeia, the depth of a large socket extending right and left to the gorges crossing the two sides of the hill as the amphitheater square extending toward the back of the knollAthos, where the observer may be facing thePagassitikosstunt. ΗDrakeiaamphitheater is built at an altitude 490-560 meters from the sea. The mill'sMichouthe lower building in the village, an altitude 355 measure.

AtDrakeiathe sun rises in the late morning and early evening reigns, thus iliazetai village only a few hours. For these reasons, the village is cool during summer. Contrast is sheltered in winter and protected from north winds by the mountain of the overlyingPliasidi. ΗDrakeiagifted by nature as the climate, to be considered a favored and privileged village. ΟιDimitrieis (D. FilippídisκαιC. Konstantas) atNeoteriki Geographyτους, issued inViennaτο1791 write in the most vivid way the natural beauty ofDrakia: “Dragons (the), in eastern Portaria back from a ledge, country where big is 600 homes, most beautiful and big and causing an enormous view to those where they are seen by’ opposite, overgrown with trees and this Carpio and katarryti of water.”

For the etymology of the name are different views. WhenZ. KyrtsoniThe village took its name from aDragonwho was the first settler. WhenA. Grivas the Drakeiathe name comes from the mythical tradition. WhenC. KordatounameDrakeiais not Greek, but palaioslaviko. The Slavs who gave many place names in the area, called this regiondredgefrom the Slavic worddrag, means omorfotopos. In another aspect of the Slavic common nounDrakawhich means low barbed plant, Paliouri. Opinions differ, and the spelling of. For others should be written withifassuming that comes from defteroklito name (Dragon - Drakeia) atAlexander- Alexandria. For others the formation of the name of the city leads to be written iniotaδηλ.Dragons.ΗDrakeiaat19centurywas one of the villages ofPelion. Το1860 the inhabitants was2500and was the fourth village in terms of population in the county, after theSalty, Makrynitsa and Zagora. Το1882 has been shown to2637 residents. From that year until1886were autonomous municipality. ΟBro. Molochadisτο (1901) writes: “Has 2800 inhabitants, three-grade Greek School, Primary males and females and seaportAgria“. Before the war (1940) the population was in1799 residents.

After the war, theDrakeiathe one follows the fate of the Greek mountain villages apoplithysmopoiountai constantly. On the other two into the tragic events20centurywas to achieve critical blow toDrakeiaEvening17December 1943German extracts of Es – S invading village arrest the men of the village and the other day at18 DecemberτουSt. Modesto, perform118them. That were able to neutralize manpower this brutal behavior, will complete 12 years after beating theEnceladus. ΗDrakeiawho exemplified Pilioritian settlement, badly hit by earthquakes1955 lost for the wonderful mansions.

The formation of urban Drakia had developed lines around a central path that climbed the slope and has now been converted into roadway. With many veins supplemented grid, while the mainstay crossed underneath until up the village, connecting both squares. It's SquareSt. Nicholaslow and well above the SquareSt. Athanasios.

Most of the old housesDrakiawas truly an example of traditional architecture. ΟιDimitrieiswrite about a the Drakeia: “. is 600 homes, most beautiful and big and cause a Terpni views to those who are seen from opposite“. ΟArgyris Filippídisspeaking homes in Apples notes: “. The country as eiritai, is large and well spitia, as the dragons“. The mansions were named as the big houses, usually had two but mostly three-storey building, stone in large part.

TodayDrakeiaτων500-600 residentswinter, resists and hopes for the future. The future of, in absolute numbers are 26 childrenElementary schoolandKindergarten (not inconsiderable number, if we consider that in villages of Greece with the corresponding population, schools close failing children.) However, in order to keep young people in the village need growth prospects. The completion of the roadAgria-Drakeia – Chania, and the opening of the roadSt. Lawrence – Drakiawill makeDrakeiaa hub helping to tourist development. The establishment and improvement of a number of infrastructure (improving traditional cobbled, creation of the car park, improvement of rural roads, a museum rural and cultural heritage, etc.) will help develop. ΗDrakeiawith its rich cultural heritage worth except martyred villagePelion, again become one of thevillagesτουPelion.

(Historical data of the text is taken from the Book of If. Tzamtzi: “Wormwood- Dragons: Parallel lives two traditional villages”.)

volosInfoΤΟΠΙΚΟ ΣΥΜΒΟΥΛΙΟ ΠΡΟΛΗΨΗΣ ΠΑΡΑΒΑΤΙΚΟΤΗΤΑΣ ΔΗΜΟΥ ΒΟΛΟΥΠανεπιστήμιο ΘεσσαλίαςΔημοτικό ΡαδιόφωνοΠολεοδομίαΠοδηλασίαΠεριφέρεια ΘεσσαλίαςΜετανάστεςΚΕΠΚαθαριότηταΝοσοκομείοflagΕθελοντισμόςΔιαύγειαempeΔΟΥΚΔΗΚΙCitiesNetΑΜΕΑ

Set as default language
 Edit Translation